What News do we Share on Facebook?
Yesterday, the social network released a list of the top 40 most shared news articles on the platform from 2011, giving the world a glimpse into the topics that people care about most – everything from funny and sweet to serious and sad. As individuals who follow Facebook religiously for work and personal interactions, we found the list telling as our clients look to us for guidance on how to encourage community discussion and interaction.
Many of these articles hit on a specific emotional chord that addresses world relationships and speak to something bigger than day-to-day life while reporting aspects of the news with real authenticity. They include a compelling story and human element that people can connect to on a highly personal level. From this, we can see that people need a certain association and sentiment – whether it’s happy, sad, or angry – from a story in order to feel the need or want, to engage with it.
This list is a perfect illustration of what you need to consider when engaging your social community. It’s not only about understanding what type of content your specific community wants to read or watch, but understanding how to reach the individual on an emotional level. When people feel personally connected to content, they’re more likely to want to share it with others.
The next time you’re creating content with the purpose of engaging your social community, think about your company news, media articles, pictures, videos etc. and ask yourself “how will this make my community feel?” If your answer is nothing, take another look at the content and see how you can turn it into a human connection.
1. Satellite Photos of Japan, Before and After the Quake and Tsunami (New York Times)
5. (video) – Father Daughter Dance Medley (Yahoo)
10. New Zodiac Sign Dates: Ophiuchus The 13th Sign? (The Huffington Post)
11. Parents keep child’s gender under wraps (Yahoo)
12. How to Talk to Little Girls (The Huffington Post)
13. Stop Coddling the Super-Rich (New York Times)
14.Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior (Wall Street Journal)
15. (video) – Twin Baby Boys Have A Conversation! (Yahoo)
16. Man robs bank to get medical care in jail (Yahoo)
17. Why You’re Not Married (The Huffington Post)
18. A Sister’s Eulogy for Steve Jobs (New York Times)
19. Ryan Dunn Dead: ‘Jackass’ Star Dies In Car Crash (The Huffington Post)
21. Notes From a Dragon Mom (New York Times)
22. A Message to Women From a Man: You Are Not “Crazy” (The Huffington Post)
23. Obama’s and Bush’s effects on the deficit in one graph (Washington Post)
24. Penn State, my final loss of faith (Washington Post)
25. Golden-Voiced Homeless Man Captivates Internet (Yahoo)
26. The most typical face on the planet (Yahoo)
28. Permissive parents: Curb your brats (CNN)
30. (video) – Laughing Baby Loves Ripping Paper! (Yahoo)
31. Epic Cover Letter: How To Get Hired For Your Dream Job (PICTURE) (The Huffington Post)
32. New Zodiac sign dates: Don’t switch horoscopes yet (Washington Post)
33. Things Babies Born in 2011 Will Never Know (Yahoo)
34. The Psychology of Revenge: Why We Should Stop Celebrating Osama Bin Laden’s Death (The Huffington Post)
35. (photo gallery) – ‘Where Children Sleep’ (New York Times)
37. Steve Jobs, Apple founder, dies (CNN)
39. Grant Hill’s Response to Jalen Rose (New York Times)
40. Steve Jobs’s Patents (New York Times)