10 Ways To De-Stress The 7th Most Stressful Job In America
Recent reports show that being a public relations professional is the seventh most stressful job in America. It makes a lot of sense. We are connected to our mobile phones 24/7, we have to be prepared to handle all possible interpretations of every word that leaves our mouths and no day is the same as the one before.
PR attracts people who thrive on being busy, but it also attracts professionals who fit in time for things that make the job seem less stressful—even when it is not. For anyone with stressful days, you may find these DGC de-stressing tips helpful:
- Make a to-do list. It can be daunting, but crossing stuff off your list let’s you see the fruits of your labor…even when that list keeps growing.
- Take lunch. If you run out to pick up lunch, eat it there and enjoy your break. Or if you bring your lunch to the office, make it a point to step away from your desk to eat and disconnect. Your work will still be waiting for you when you get back.
- Laugh out loud. Ever seen “The Office?” They have workplace humor down to a science.
- Listen to music. Having a tough day? Put on your favorite song and see how much more productive you become.
- Go for a quick walk. Getting up and moving around will break up your day and give you more energy.
- Get a massage. Long or short, full body or shoulders, it’s sure to give you a few moments of stressless bliss.
- Make plans for later. If you know you want to meet a friend for dinner, you’re more likely to manage your time effectively throughout the day to make it happen.
- Drink (in moderation, of course). At DGC we unwind from the week by having a glass of wine together. We like to call it “Wino Friday.”
- Keep chocolate handy. Enough said.
- Set long-term goals. Having something to strive for at work gives you a way to channel your stress and makes you more likely to stay motivated over time.
Do you have other tips for de-stressing in this stressful world? Share them in the comments section below!
Posted on January 17, 2012, in Tips and tagged America, career, de-stress, destress, DGC, DiGennaro Communications, Job, management, office, Public Relations, stress, stressful job, tips, U.S., work, workplace humor. Bookmark the permalink. 3 Comments.