You Know You’re in Cannes When…
The DGC team is back on the Croisette, and it feels good, yet oddly familiar. Although a year has passed since we were here with McDonald’s and General Motors, and we’ve only been back in Cannes for a few days, there are some things that never quite change here.
You know you’re in Cannes when…
- You carbo-load on croissants, (pain aux chocolat and baguettes) and swear you’ll find time to work out and burn it all off. We all know how that one goes.
- You’re on “Cannes Time” (where 15 minutes late is actually early because you run into at least five people each time you walk down the Croisette. You’re constantly dehydrated no matter how many carafes d’eaux are on hand. The combination of cappuccino, rosé, salty air and three hours sleep means constant thirst.
- You ration clothes for the best parties, seminars, award shows and meetings, only to find out that the important client meeting is cancelled, and an A-list outfit has been wasted.
- You blow a fuse in the hotel room while using a hair dryer which means you’ll be sporting a ponytail to control the frizzy mess for the rest of the week. You can’t access email or make phone calls even though all technology needs are on hand: Backup converter? Check. Blackberry and iPhone chargers? Check. Laptop? Check. iPad? Check. International calling plan? Check. Inevitably you’ll need to call the IT department on a Saturday.
- You’re more star struck by advertising creatives hanging around the Carlton Terrace than celebrities sitting on seminar panels. “Nick Canon? Who’s that? You saw David Droga in the flesh? OMG what was he wearing? Tell me everything.”
- You walk by Louis Vuitton, Hermes and Cartier every day on the way to the Palais, but gazing into the Mediterranean is so much sweeter.
- Your days end at 2 a.m., and start again at 8 a.m., yet somehow it never feels long enough to accomplish everything.
- You pinch yourself and realize how lucky you are to be surrounded by the smartest and most creative minds in marketing and media, in one of the most beautiful places in the world and get to call it work while sipping on a glass of rosé.
Posted on June 19, 2013, in Cannes, Cannes Lions, DiGennaro Communications and tagged Cannes, Cannes Lions, Cannes Lions Festival of Creativity, DiGennaro Communications. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.